Friday, June 12, 2020

90s Style Animation

I wanted to created animation in the same style you would see at the bowling alley. Why? Because I was bored. I've always found them weird and thought it would be funny. There were a few things I needed to work out though. Render engines have come so far, so I would need to turn off a bunch of settings to make this work.
First off I used Eevee instead of cycles because there are no light bounces. Then I made sure AO, Bloom, Screen Space Reflections and Motion Blur were all turned off. The shadow size needed to be slightly lower quality as well.

Next, it was all just figuring out little tricks to make it looks as dated as possible. One thing I did was light the scene using spot lights, with only one of the spot lights actually creating shadows.
The "main" light is the only light to actually create shadows. Another thing I did was set the background to completely black. The last thing I needed to create my look was a texture. I downloaded this texture from texture haven, but it was too high quality for what I needed. So I color corrected it and scaled it down a bunch to create this:
It doesn't have as much detail, it's smaller and the colors are really saturated. I think it looks a lot better for what I'm going for. My animation was finally complete and ready to be rendered. I rendered it at a 4:3 ratio with a resolution of 640x480. Here was my final result:
I think it looks pretty good (for what I was working towards of course). And now I now a fun, easy way to make 90's style animation.


I have this scene file (.blend) posted on my Patreon if you would like to take a look and learn more about it! Thanks to everyone who made it this far!

--Jeremy Weed

No comments:

Post a Comment