Saturday, June 13, 2020

Game design!

Game design is something I find kind of interesting which is why I'm going to talk about it in today's post. I'm working on a new obby in Roblox with iweed1138 and WinstonTheNoob. One thing I pushed while working on this game was lighting and game design.
I don't want to spoil too much, but I do want to talk about what I did to make the game look how it does. I wanted it to use a color pallet that consists of purple and green. Because it takes place in a forest, I decided to make the fog green.
Because it's a fantasy game, I also decided to make the cave torches green. Now where will the purple come into play? Well in obbys there are obviously lots of things that can kill you so I decided that anything bad, should be purple. That's where the game design aspect comes into play. The player quickly learns to avoid purple, which I think is cool and has a large, positive, impact on the play-ability of the game.
Purple fog below the trees, kills you
Purple smoke from the purple mushrooms also kills you
Purple rocks... EXPLODE WHEN YOU TOUCH THEM


I started doing this with other colors as well.

Yellow Mushrooms are for you to jump on

Blue mushrooms speed you up

There's still lots to do and there are definitely still LOTS of bugs, but it's been really fun to work on, especially with iweed1138 and WinstonTheNoob. I plan to keep you guys updated on the progress and eventually the release. I'll end this with a few screenshots of some bugs and the map.
We didn't anchor an invisible wall :(

We didn't anchor a model :(

The map without any green fog (looks really bad)

--Jeremy Weed


No comments:

Post a Comment